According to local Chepstow folklore, at midnight on Hallows Eve in 1587, a gateway opened at in a long forgotten crypt. The crypt was hidden deep within Coombesbury Woods and the gateway was described as being a corridor “from this world to the depths of hell”.
Stories tell of a group of priests known as the ‘Eye Brotherhood’ who located themselves on the doorway in defence of the breach. As midnight arrived, a mysterious light appeared, blinding the men for a brief moment. When they regained their vision, the gateway had closed and surrounding them, the ground was covered in half-buried wooden crosses. Continue reading “The Rising of a mysterious Crypt in Coombesbury Woods”
Elizabeth was a rare dog breeder from London who was to marry a local Lord.
Her vanity had led her to use Tintern Abbey as the wedding venue, with the reception taking place at a clearing in Coombesbury Woods. The spectacular reception was to be held in a gigantic Big Top tent, holding 400 people and featuring a travelling Circus.
Since Friday’s Harvest Moon there have been some strange sightings around the FearFest-Evil site.Two large animals have been spotted in the shadows of the woodland at the Northern area of the National Diving & Activity Centre.
Local Tidenham Farmers have also reported livestock disappearing and several cows have been found mutilated after being dragged into the woodland.
Local folk tales talk of wolves and even wolf-men at this time of year. However this may just be a local legend created by farmers to keep people off their land – it is far more likely that the animals are large dogs that have escaped.
The animals appear to be scared of the light and locals have covered the trees in foil to reflect the light around. We advise sticking to the paths and out of the shadows when in the woodland areas and please report any sightings.
In 1573, in the village of Tidenham, the family of a parish priest were found dismembered and scorched in a huge bonfire at the edge of Coombesbury Woods. Their screams were heard as far away as Tintern Abbey.
The priest himself was not amongst the dead and a body was never found.
Reports from the time say that his body must have been cremated by the fire. However local folk songs tell a tale that he’d been possessed by the Devil himself, murdered his family and jumped off nearby cliffs (now known as Wintours Leap) into the River Wye.
Much of Coombesbury woods were destroyed when Dayhouse Quarry was dug, but some areas still remain. To this day many locals avoid the area and claim that the family’s screams can still be heard on a clear night.
If you dare… join us this October in the remaining haunted woods, disused limestone quarry and historic railway line near Chepstow. Limited tickets for FearFest-Evil are available now at http://www.FearFest-Evil.co.uk
FearFest-Evil is a live Halloween horror event running for selected nights in October.