According to local Chepstow folklore, at midnight on Hallows Eve in 1587, a gateway opened at in a long forgotten crypt. The crypt was hidden deep within Coombesbury Woods and the gateway was described as being a corridor “from this world to the depths of hell”.
Stories tell of a group of priests known as the ‘Eye Brotherhood’ who located themselves on the doorway in defence of the breach. As midnight arrived, a mysterious light appeared, blinding the men for a brief moment. When they regained their vision, the gateway had closed and surrounding them, the ground was covered in half-buried wooden crosses. Continue reading “The Rising of a mysterious Crypt in Coombesbury Woods”
In 1573, in the village of Tidenham, the family of a parish priest were found dismembered and scorched in a huge bonfire at the edge of Coombesbury Woods. Their screams were heard as far away as Tintern Abbey.
The priest himself was not amongst the dead and a body was never found.
Reports from the time say that his body must have been cremated by the fire. However local folk songs tell a tale that he’d been possessed by the Devil himself, murdered his family and jumped off nearby cliffs (now known as Wintours Leap) into the River Wye.
Much of Coombesbury woods were destroyed when Dayhouse Quarry was dug, but some areas still remain. To this day many locals avoid the area and claim that the family’s screams can still be heard on a clear night.
If you dare… join us this October in the remaining haunted woods, disused limestone quarry and historic railway line near Chepstow. Limited tickets for FearFest-Evil are available now at http://www.FearFest-Evil.co.uk
FearFest-Evil is a live Halloween horror event running for selected nights in October.